Apprenticeships - working from home

10:37

With over 100 apprentices across the University in all 78 departments, studying over 26 varying Apprenticeship courses, what happens when there is a national pandemic and we are all told to work from home (WFH) if we can?

Well, we've asked a few of our apprentices to share their WFH set up with us, explaining how they are continuing with work. Read on for some of their top tips...

Teya Agnese


Teya's WFH set-up

How, as an Apprentice Clinical Trial Support Officer studying a Level 3 Business Admin course, have I adapted to working from home throughout this pandemic, and what do I do to stay motivated?

Firstly, it’s really useful to have a work space set up in a quiet location where you can put your laptop (and monitors if you have them), and bring that work environment feeling into the space. You may be tempted to work from your sofa, or whilst laying in bed, but these locations imply connotations intended for relaxation. Whereas, having a space set up like your desk would be at your workplace will help to keep you motivated throughout the day, minimising potential distractions.

My work is administration and data entry based, so luckily my job role is easily adaptable to the ‘work from home life.’ The only difference is that I am unable to print off forms that I have entered and file them. So, I make sure to keep a track of what I have done and as a result the task can be completed when I return to the office. I also dedicate every Friday to completing coursework for my Apprenticeship.

Similarly, I like to start each day by writing out a to-do list of what I need to get done. I mix up smaller and larger tasks throughout the day to ensure my day is varied and interesting, ticking them off as I go (which is certainly rewarding) and makes you feel really accomplished by the end of the day.

Something that I would say is KEY whilst working from home is to keep up communication with your team (along with friends and family). A really valuable tool that we have been using is ‘Microsoft Teams.’

It is very beneficial to talk to your team: don’t be afraid to go to them with any questions you may have, ask or suggest any motivation techniques, or even if it’s for an update or a chat. Whilst working from home, it is easy for your independence to take over, which is a valuable skill when sitting and completing tasks from home, but it is really useful to take a few moments each day to catch-up with members of your team to maintain your team building skills and connections. I find that this too adds structure to my day, giving me something to look forward to and sets me tasks that fuel my motivation. Also, just being able to see the lovely smiling faces of your colleagues can really lift your mood and brighten your day.

Whilst working from home, it can be hard to keep concentration levels up, or you can find yourself working continuously for hours. It is important to have a good balance of work and break times.

A good technique that our team discussed, and that I have personally implemented into my routine, to help us stay motivated whilst working from home is one called the ‘Marinara/ Pomodoro Custom Timer.’ This is a custom Pomodoro-style timer which you can modify to fit your daily routine. You set time segments within 1 hour that fit your workflow. For instance, you can set your timer so that you work solidly for 50 minutes, and then take a 10 minute break to have a coffee and relax your mind. Then repeat – ensuring that you still take your lunch break. This method is also good if you want to improve your time management skills and productivity.

Stay safe everyone and hopefully we will return to our normal working conditions soon. :)

Harriet Goss


Harriet's WFH set-up


During these strange and uncertain times in our lives, we’re all facing a variety of challenges and difficulties whilst working from the comfort of our own homes.

Whether working, studying or simply at a loss for what to do; it’s vital to set yourself a strict schedule…and stick to it!

I know the temptation to lounge in bed until midday can be very compelling, but it’s important to set yourself a daily routine in order to stay as productive and positive as possible.

Like the rest of the world, I also find myself working from my bedroom (not bed) – which is strange and definitely a new learning curve for me. At the time I’m writing this, I’ve been “social distancing”/working from home for a mere 10 days now. Believe me when I tell you - I did not have a routine set down from day 1! This stuff takes time – so feel free to trial and error it.

Below is an example of the schedule I’ve set myself in order to keep on top of my workload. You’ll see I’ve also allocated personal time for my own well-being (be it going for a run or simply having a coffee with my family). This is important! We may be in this situation for a little while, so taking a little time for yourself is crucial.

My routine:
7.30am - Wake up and have breakfast/get ready for the day
8.30am – Turn on computer and start work for the day
9.30am – Daily team meeting/check-in Zoom call
10.30am – Tea/coffee break
12pm – Lunch break (during this time I like to go for a walk or a run and get some much-needed Vitamin D )
1pm – Work on my apprentice portfolio
2.30pm – Tea/coffee break
4.30pm – Finish work for the day
REST OF DAY – Down time, dinner and bed

Obviously, days can vary – so don’t feel like those timings are set in stone. Some days you may have a lot more down time than usual, and others you may be up to your eyeballs in emails. It’s a strange time for us all, but if you can shape your days as much as possible– soon it’ll become a routine. We all need a bit of structure at this moment in time, so why not make a conscious effort to structure your day?


Daniela Cazan

Daniela Cazan is a Digital Marketing apprentice at the Skoll Centre for Social Entrepreneurship, Saïd Business School. We ask Daniela to answer a Q&A with us on what she has found useful working from home, over the past month.

Daniela's WFH set-up

Q: How are you finding working from home?

“At first I found it hard getting into a routine and not feeling like I was glued to my work laptop. After a few weeks of trial and errors, taking breaks and switching of for the end of the day. I have slowly gotten back into a ‘normal’ routine”. 

Q: Since working from home, have you found a change in your regular routine? 

“I would usually travel into work every day and listen to music, read a book or listen to a podcast. But as I’m not travelling to and from work, I now play music out loud as soon as I wake up to set me ready for the day.”

Q: What is the first thing you do in the morning?

"Every morning I wake up at 7/7.30am, put on a pot of coffee, and start working immediately - I only start making breakfast once I feel I need a break, that’s usually after our team coffee catch-up. I'm a morning person and find I can get a ton done in the early morning hours, so this works really well for me."

Q:Are you taking the same steps, as you would going into work?

“I’ve found that transitioning from my pillow to my desk, and dressing like I would in the office, changes my mental state like I’m going into the office.
I also structure my days as I usually would in the office, I make a conscious effort every day to schedule my work in my calendar”.

Q: Have you learnt any tips throughout your month of working from home?

“Communicate. That would be my main piece of advice to anyone! I must admit, I felt like I lost my ‘oomph’ for the first few weeks and struggled to get use to it. But after talking to my team, friends and family, I felt a lot more motivated and positive.”
 
“No matter what piece of advice/tips you read, it’s all a learning curve and you’re not alone. Everyone is finding their new ‘normal’, so don’t worry if you feel like you failed one day because you brain has gone to mush! You are doing the best you can, you are safe and that is all that matters!”

Stay safe everyone! 😊


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Author

Created by Sophie Bebb, previous University of Oxford Apprentice at the Said Business School.

Managed by Melissa Duffin, Apprenticeships Coordinator at the University of Oxford