Technician Apprentice of the year Award 2020 - Natalie Davis

08:25

The winner of our Technician Apprentice of the year award went to... Natalie Davis!!


We asked Natalie a few questions about her Apprenticeship and winning this award...

1) What is your Apprenticeship?

My apprenticeship is a Level 3 Laboratory Technician at Sir William Dunn School of Pathology. My role is varied but my day to day role includes making agar plates, making media, washing glassware, dealing with hazardous waste and carrying out mycoplasma testing. I have also been involved with helping prepare for the University's practical classes that are run for the biomedical undergraduate students. Other parts of my job include covering the reception desk and helping in stores with delivering goods to different research groups around the department.

2) Can you describe some benefits of undertaking Apprenticeship based training?

One of the main benefits of doing an apprenticeship is the on the job training and being able to go from having no experience to having a vast range of skills and knowledge in the field! In my experience I have also been lucky enough to spend time in different research areas of the department. This has included spending time in a laboratory with a researcher who guided me through my own mini project involving flies! I have also spent time using a scanning electron microscope to produce my own images in the electron microscopy facility. All of which has been really fun to be able to do.

3) What was your reaction to winning your award?

When my name was read out I was initially very shocked as I really didn't expect that I would win against the other two finalists. I am very very pleased to have won though and to have all my hard work recognised is an amazing feeling. Definitely the biggest achievement of my apprenticeship so far and am very grateful to have been nominated by my manager.

4) What would you recommend to anyone else considering an Apprenticeship/taking on an apprentice?

I would tell anyone who is considering an apprenticeship to just go for it as it allows you to develop many new skills and expand your knowledge in the field you are interested in, whilst working and earning money. All the skills learnt will also be highly valued by any future employer after your apprenticeship. Being an apprentice also allows you to take on other opportunities such as being an ambassador, which is something am very glad I took the opportunity to be apart of. For an employer I would encourage them to take on an apprentice as they will be willing to learn new skills in the job role and will also be hard working. 
Finalists for the Apprentice Technician Award 2020








You Might Also Like

0 comments

Author

Created by Sophie Bebb, previous University of Oxford Apprentice at the Said Business School.

Managed by Melissa Duffin, Apprenticeships Coordinator at the University of Oxford