Apprentice Poster Award 2020 - Taimur Hashmi

11:39

And the winner of the Apprentice Poster Award goes to... Taimur Hashmi


We asked Taimur a few questions about his Apprenticeship and winning this award...

1) What is your Apprenticeship? 

I am currently completing a Level 3 Business Administration Apprenticeship with the University of Oxford Temporary Staffing Service (TSS). I started my apprenticeship as an Apprentice Recruitment Administrator in October 2018 where the main part of my role was arranging registration interviews with candidates who are interested in becoming a part of the TSS candidate pool and answering any queries about the service. Alongside this, I was also in charge of updating our assignment advert cards in the office window, advertising our vacancies online, requesting candidate references, updating candidate details on our internal database and completing any other administrative tasks that may be required. 

As I progressed in my role, I began to pick up other additional duties and eventually, in September 2019 I was appointed as an Internal Recruitment Consultant in the department. The focus of my role now is conducting registration interviews with applicants, acting as the first point of contact with Recruiting Managers to understand and record details of their temporary vacancies and then identifying where candidates’ skills and experience match temporary assignments in University Departments. 

2) Can you describe some benefits of undertaking an Apprenticeship?

One of the most notable benefits of undertaking an apprenticeship from my perspective has been the knowledge and experience I have gained working in recruitment. As I have furthered my knowledge and experience, I have also increased in confidence which seems to be a theme with a lot of other apprentices I have spoken to. I would highly recommend apprenticeships to anyone considering them, especially at the University where the levels of support provided by the departments and the Apprenticeships team have been excellent.

3) What was your reaction to winning your award?

I was genuinely surprised. All of the poster submissions this year were very good and on a different day, under a different audience I think any of the other posters could have won. Of course I am also absolutely delighted to have won and very grateful to everyone who voted for my poster!

4) What would you recommend to anyone else considering an Apprenticeship/taking on an apprentice?

To anyone considering an apprenticeship, do it. From business administration to lab technician, there are many different types to choose from. You will gain valuable skills and experience in the workplace and it is the perfect stepping stone for your career (not to mention the apprentice wage at the university is significantly higher than the average!!).
To any line managers considering taking on an apprentice, the benefits speak for themselves. Do it.



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Author

Created by Sophie Bebb, previous University of Oxford Apprentice at the Said Business School.

Managed by Melissa Duffin, Apprenticeships Coordinator at the University of Oxford