Apprentice Training Provider Individual Award 2020 - Gemma Burgess

10:58

The winner of our Training Provider Individual award went to... Gemma Burgess!

Claire Rees from OUP (left) presenting the award to Gemma Burgess (right)
We asked Gemma a few questions about her role and reaction to winning this award.

1) What is your role? How does it relate to our apprentices?

My role at Abingdon and Witney College is Quality Lead for the Work Based Learning Team. I work with all of the Employer Services team from recruitment and business development to delivery of apprenticeships to ensure that we provide the highest quality provision to all of our apprentices. Within my role I volunteered to support and assess apprentices at the University who are undertaking the Level 5 Operational/Departmental Manager apprenticeship.

2)  Can you describe some benefits of undertaking Apprenticeship based training?

As a former accountancy apprentice myself I truly believe that an apprenticeship based training programme really does open doors and lead to numerous career progression opportunities. I certainly wouldn’t be where I am now if I hadn’t been given the opportunity. An apprenticeship not only provides knowledge within the subject area related to the role but it also develops transferable skills and behaviours that are relevant to any employment. Apprenticeship training is an excellent way to gather knowledge both on and off the job that allows individuals to learn and earn at the same time.

3) What was your reaction to winning your award?

I was so pleased to have been shortlisted as a finalist with two of my colleagues that it really was a surprise to win, as assessing is only a small element to my job role, even though this is what I have been doing for over 10 years. I am keen to support others to help them achieve their goals and it was great for the apprentices to recognise this through the nominations.


4) What would you recommend to anyone else considering an Apprenticeship/taking on an apprentice?

As an employer – take on an apprentice, they’re keen to learn and extremely hard working! As a potential apprentice – you will learn so much on this journey, embrace it! An apprenticeship has so many benefits to an employer as well as the apprentice themselves. It’s hard work for both parties and a big commitment, but a completely beneficial process.

Finalists for Training Provider Individual Award


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Author

Created by Sophie Bebb, previous University of Oxford Apprentice at the Said Business School.

Managed by Melissa Duffin, Apprenticeships Coordinator at the University of Oxford