Apprenticeship Poster Award - Georgia Smith

16:10

The winner of our Poster Award went to... Georgia Smith!!

 We asked Georgia a few questions about her Apprenticeship and winning this award...


1) What is your Apprenticeship?

I work at the department of plant sciences for the University of Oxford. I am undertaking a HND for Biological Science in Industry while in my role as a research technician.


2) Can you describe some benefits of undertaking Apprenticeship based training?

  • My educational development can continue while I still focus the majority of my time on my career pathway.
  • The course keeps me motivated in my job role as I can see the link between what I am learning and the work I conduct in the laboratory. 
  • It has encouraged me to think long term and I am considering furthering my education on completion of the apprenticeship.
  • Financially, it is a beneficial way to avoid potential university debts as my employer finances my development and pays me a steady income.

3) What was your reaction to winning your award?

Surprise and excitement. I wasn't expecting to receive an award and prize for explaining my job role! 

  
4) What would you recommend to anyone else considering an Apprenticeship/taking on an apprentice?

Take your time to find an apprenticeship that suits you so that you are more likely to see it through to completion (including choosing a good course provider who knows what they are doing). Be prepared to sacrifice spare time after a busy day at work to invest in coursework, maybe make a schedule to see if it will be realistic with other commitments you already have. 



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Author

Created by Sophie Bebb, previous University of Oxford Apprentice at the Said Business School.

Managed by Melissa Duffin, Apprenticeships Coordinator at the University of Oxford