Our Fantastic Apprentices

10:25

During this time of uncertainty, we know a lot of people's job roles have changed in line with the situations they are in. For many of our apprentices, this can be especially daunting, as they may be new into their post or finding it difficult to juggle extra responsibilities with adapted online Apprenticeship learning.

We know just how important our apprentices across the University are, and the importance of the roles they play. Now we want to share some of their inspiring stories with you!



Ellie Knight, Finance Division

"Our newest apprentice, Ellie Knight, has experienced a rather unusual start to her Business Administration Apprenticeship. Ellie started her apprenticeship with us on Monday 30 March 2020 – one week into lockdown. We’ve had to work out how to set Ellie up to work and learn entirely remotely. This has been an interesting challenge which Ellie has dealt with remarkably well. Ellie and I have only ever met in person once, at interview. All of our contact since Ellie started in post has been virtual – email, Teams etc.

Despite this challenging start, Ellie has already taken on real responsibility within the Finance Division and has integrated incredibly well into our team."

    - Rebecca Waterman, Deputy Head of Administration


We asked Ellie a few questions about her Apprenticeship...


What Apprenticeship have you started and what made you go for this role?

I started a business administration apprenticeship on the 30th of March (1 week into lockdown). There are a few reasons for wanting this role, to gain experience in the workplace, learn new skills, potentially get a permanent job but also because I wanted to find something I could get stuck into and enjoy.

What was your initial reaction to being told you would have to work from home (wfh) in your new job?

Being told I would have to start this new apprenticeship from home was very weird. I could’ve never imagined it! I had prepared myself for my first day and had bought work clothes and I was quite disheartened to find out I won’t be starting in the office.

What did you do in your first day/week?

In my first week, I set up my emails and got started on other university systems with help from my manager. It was quite a challenge and after a few calls to IT, I mostly had everything necessary set up.

Are you enjoying wfh? Have there been many challenges?

In terms of working from home, it is not what I was expecting at all. Some days I really like it and don’t mind it but other days it would be nice to have some human interaction! It has brought its challenges. Firstly, I was working on a Macbook to start with and the university systems tend to work a lot better with windows. Moreover, macs can be very problematic and a lot of hassle. Also, working at home with 3 people sat at the dining table is far from ideal.

Are you looking forward to going into the offices for the first time and meeting everyone properly?


I will be very glad when I can finally go into the office and meet all the people I have been emailing/video calling for weeks. It is very odd meeting someone via email/teams! I think overall, it’s made me realise that working from home has its pros and cons but I am proud of myself for managing to start my first proper job in an office, at home!

Millie Thompson, Graduate Accommodation

"We think Millie Thompson (aka The Milster) is amazing!!

Millie has been an indispensable member of the Graduate Accommodation Team. At the start of lock down Mille was only armed with an Ipad and a mobile phone. Therefore working with limited access to software packages and not being able to see shared drives was pretty hard going. Millie, cracked on, kept a cool head and eventually, she got a laptop. 

Whilst other departments were fully closed, Graduate Accommodation, remained open, tenants were still in residence and still had urgent maintenance requests that needed attending to. In addition Graduate Accommodation like other departments lost staff due to shielding and furlough, so Millie and the remaining members of the Graduate Accommodation team were required to bridge the gaps, picking up additional roles and responsibilities. Millie has really upped her game during lockdown, she steps in, takes ownership and is using her initiative. Millie is always willing to help. Her daily roles consists of picking up maintenance requests from the tenants via the help desk, raising orders and daily correspondence with Site Assistants and Contractors to ensure, works are completed in safe timely fashion.  On top of all of this, she’s trying to learn CAD from her kitchen table as her first module for her HNC. Myself and the Graduate Accommodation Team, think she is amazing."

   - Shelly Rand, Graduate Accommodation Clerk of Works 


"Millie has been an absolute star, going from working in the office and out on site to making things happen from her kitchen table.  The GA team have experienced a period of great uncertainty (as has the rest of the world), and changes in staffing and staff capacity.  Millie has really stepped up to take on additional responsibility and help out wherever she can.
She has been dealing directly with tenants on their maintenance issues, and making sure that precautionary measures are taken to allow work to take place safely.  The GA Office are really grateful for Millie’s assistance, she is a great asset to the team. "

   -  Sara Leniec, Graduate Accommodation Manager

We asked Millie a few questions about her Apprenticeship...

What is your job role and Apprenticeship? How long have you been in it?

I started my apprenticeship with the Graduate Accommodation team doing a level 2 Business Administration course. I finished this course in January and started a HNC in Construction Management in April. I mainly work alongside my manager Shelly who is the Clerk of works for Graduate housing meaning I’m involved with lots of maintenance issues. 

How has your job role changed since lockdown?

It’s been an adjustment since lockdown due to a lack of technology and also bringing in new and important procedures that all of our team need to adhere to.

Are you enjoying your new set up? Have there been many challenges?

So far, working from home has proved challenging but working as a team has always made it successful!

How has your Apprenticeship training changed?

All of my teaching has moved to webinars via google hangout. This has been difficult for me as I started mid lockdown meaning I have had to adapt to learning and working remotely.

What are you looking forward to most when things return to (the new) normal?

I’m looking forward to going back to the office and seeing my team. My job often requires me to go out to our sites which is something I enjoy about my apprenticeship.


Freya Cooke, Engineering Science


"When the lockdown began and our manager told us we all had to start working from home I was a bit worried as I had never had to do anything like this before. Luckily I have a desk in my room so I was able to bring my monitor, laptop, keyboard and mouse home, so I could keep things as normal as possible. At first it was quite a big change and a shock as our office was still very paper based. We quickly had to change the way we were working and have documents such as invoices and credit notes saved electronically on the shared drive so that we could all see them. As I work in a finance department I am quite lucky as most of the work I do is online and can be done from my home, the only real difference is not seeing my colleagues every day. Microsoft Teams has been a big help during this lockdown, being able to quickly ask my colleagues a question or have Team video calls to catch up. Teams has also enabled me to undertake some training that I would usually have to complete in a classroom with our training team. This was really useful as I needed to complete some training so I can help assist with journaling the credit card costs.

Although at first I wasn’t keen about working at home I think it has really helped me to become more organised, and appreciate the help I receive from everyone in my office.

I think that when things go back to normal it will be a ‘new normal’. We have discovered many things during this lockdown and have found ways of overcoming challenges that we never thought we would be able to do."

     - Freya Cooke, Apprentice Finance Assistant

Oscar Cherrill, Finance Division


"My experience working from home at central finance has been quite varied.

On one side I am continuing work as part of the payments team for two days of the week, where we have had to adapt to the constraints of remote working. Before lockdown happened, we relied heavily on using physical copies of everything, from receiving post to filing away documents. In the absence of this we have had to build a system of working that uses the shared drive to simulate our day-to-day roles, while allowing us to work seamlessly together as a fairly large team. While the quantity of work may have decreased over time, the challenge of approaching this new style of work has made many jobs take a lot longer.

On the other hand, I have been taking part in testing with the FSSC on the ‘Upgrade to SplashBI Reporting’ project for two days a week. In contrast this work is purely online, the lockdown has had no effect on the difficulty of work. The testing involves working alongside and communicating with only a handful of people, a lot of the time I am also working independently. Additionally, the total workload has been completely unaffected by Covid-19, the project has the same timeframe as before."

      - Oscar Cherrill, Apprentice Finance and Accounting Technician

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Author

Created by Sophie Bebb, previous University of Oxford Apprentice at the Said Business School.

Managed by Melissa Duffin, Apprenticeships Coordinator at the University of Oxford